Friday, July 21, 2006

UPDATES Ahoy!

Welcome back. After a real short hiatus we have returned. The blackouts were due to no internet connecting in West Yellowstone and lack of an easy connection here. But thats relatively sorted now. I am terribly sorry about I'm also sorry about the out of order posting, but catching up with this and me trying to tie up loose ends with my credit card, GPS, and power block has resulted in a convoluted posting procedure.

First let me show you around the new old stuff. I've updated three previous posts with stats and/or maps. These can be found here and here and finally here.

Second we've added two days and are adding a third shortly.

Third: Updates on little odds and ends issues that have come up.

A. The power block. You may remember that my power block was left in San Fran, well the Days Inn there had it and said they will ship it to Montana with no charge, however. It will get here next week. :( I'll have to have it shipped to New Jersey and use Alie's computer for picture storage since she has mysteriously stopped taking pictures.

B. My credit card issues was that we never stayed in the room I charged to it because the company never sent any information over. So I am trying to dispute the claim. It has now posted, but the claim office was closed tonight, thus I'll have to call tomorrow.

C. The worst one of all the GPS. This is a new problem to our readers but its something we've been struggling with for a few days now. And I have good news. The problem originally was that it would either not find the satellites it needs to triangulate our position or it would find them and then loose them if we travelled any distance at all. So today while Alie was shopping for a present. I was on the phone with Garmin. And what they did was nothing short of WONDERFUL. I was on the phone with a Matt, he is a Montana native and knew of Bozeman well. I told him the issue and he said I should have no problems acquiring satellites in downtown Bozeman. Which I was.

He said our unit was in need of repair. So he was going to ship us a new unit ASAP so that we could continue our road trip with a GPS unit. The problem being that the shipping office had closed about a 1/2 an hour ago so we would get the new unit sometime Saturday. I told him that was okay but we were planning on leaving Saturday morning. He said hold let me call shipping and stop the truck to see if I can get this order out today. And he did which enabled us to get the new unit to us tomorrow (Friday).

All we had to do was give him a credit card to charge the new unit to just to make sure they aren't just giving us one and not getting something back in return. Once Garmin gets our current unit, they will remove the charge and we get to keep the brand new GPS unit. He also is going to ship us a different kind of mount so we do not have to worry about the unit falling and being damaged again. This was wonderful Matt did not have to stop the truck nor did he have to send us a different kind of mount nor allow us to keep any of our current accessories.

This has made me a lifetime buyer of Garmin products. The units themselves are easy to use, light and portable, and the costumer service is beyond compare. Thanks to Matt and Garmin for pulling us out of a major problem.

Finally Photo dumps will return shortly. Just after we get all this writing done with and I am able to go through the 600+ or photos and see which ones are worthy and which are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment